Our unsuccessful IUI journey

BISMILLAH

Here I am, putting up a LOT of courage to share our failed IUI journey at KKH. I've jotted down a journal that I've kept because I might forgot the experience and the details as well. So here is my journey of my $2000 baby (no, not prada bag)

Day 10: 11 April

A and I opted to do IUI after we failed trying on our own because of my irregular menses and ovulation (I don't know how to use the ovulation pee kit). We decided in January to get my last period using the Clomid pills and then we are good to go for the next round. So February menses came and I missed the session for IUI so I have to wait for another cycle. They gave like a financial talk and how's the process like during the briefing of 30 mins. During our wait, we tried on our own again, and me buying ovulation kits and pee on it like nobody's business.

The clauses that we had to abide to

Injection dates


This picture is super expired on the pee stick. Not valid to use it.

17 Mar was the strongest
I had my first period on 2nd April but full flow after 12pm so they asked me to come on 4 April. I took time-off from work in the morning around 10am to get the puregon pen, 50mg per day and the nurse on teaching me how to poke myself. Yes, I have to inject the hormones every morning on both left and right stomach beside the navel every other day. Went for ultrasound scan on 9 April and turns out I have 3 follicles on my right sized 7-5-6mm and 4 follicles on my left sized 7-6-6-4mm. The doctors told me it is a good size and increased my dosage to 75IU per day.



Another scan on Friday, 12 April and hopefully my ovulation will start soon then we can do the insemination and I will be on MC again for few more days to rest and then hopefully I will get good results insyaAllah.

Currently I am not stressed out. I am just curious with the things going on and definitely happy because we were getting our home. If this doesn't work, we will start on our own before proceeding to the next either IUI or IVF.

Day 11: 12 April
Today after the scanning, it shows quite slow growth but many more follicles. I have right side of 8-6-6-5mm and left side 9-7-7-5mm. They asked me to com down on Monday, 15 April and use the ovulation stick. So they upped my dose to 100IU of shots and I have to come back on Monday for my scan

Day 13: 15 April
Come for scan again and the place is so packed! The're too many people around and we came late so my queue number was 42. I am still calm and seeing my pee stick wasn't really convincing, I knew I had to come again soon. After scan, they told me my follicles grew bigger. Right side 9-7-7-6mm and left side was 10-9-7-6mm. I have to come back on Wednesday for my scan.

Day 15: 17 April
Super quiet and my queue no. was 7 (and I went to work first to put my bag to know that there wasnt any queue). Rushed and they called twice for my number. So alhamdulillah the follices are bigger now. There's 11mm on both sides and my ovulation stick was a bit darker so they asked me to come again the next day because they say may ovulate tomorrow.

Day 16: 18 April
It is my 16th day and the scan was very hopeful. There's a 12mm and 13mm on both side but the ovulation stick still not truly darker. So, not yet. We both were so hopeful but was a let down. Ask us to come down on Saturday and confirm it is ready. The clinic gets crazy with too many people and we came at 7.31am and having the 13th queue number was devastating. They increased my intake to 150IU.

Day 18: 20 April


Peed on my ovulation stick to see a way fainter colour compared to the last few days and I was distraught. My scan was showing that I still have my 13mm on my right side and 6 more follicles but my 12mm follicle is missing. The doctors concluded that I may have ovulated and need to the procedure today. Had to take blood test, wait for 2 hours only to know that I did not ovulate and had to take a new injection called Ganirelix. Had to take it for 3 days till my next appointment on Monday. So now I have to inject myself on both side everyday for 3 days. One side Puregon, another side Ganirelix 😭😭



I was already felt so low that I secretly might had ovulated and lapse (because of the Good Friday), that's why my biggest follicle is gone. I hope it is not a doctor error. And I was hoping it is not on Monday as I have exams and I might not be able to go for exams because of this.

Day 20: 22 April
Was groggy and scared that I don't have enough time to go for exams and when I peed on the ovulation stick, it was still faint. Did the scan and good news, my 13mm turned 18mm and she said I am ready. Went to see the doctors and they said I am ready, we will need to do the procedure on Wednesday. Yeay! I dont need to do today. The doctors were like, there's only 1 egg though. Usually we are hoping for 2-3 follicles at least have higher chances. I told her my results were faint, and doctor was saying, of course lah they were, we gave you the 2nd injection to block and stop u from ovulating. aaahhhh no wonder. so I have to pick up a new injection to rupture the follicle called Ovitrelle, so that the egg will come out and time to ovulate on Wednesday. I am hoping that the 11mm will grow slightly bigger for me to have more chances to get pregnant. Yeay! Had to eat antibiotics to prevent me to get any infection and they gave me 19 day pills to eat and make sure that my womb is strong enough to hold the pregnancy. Hope for the best!



Day 22: 24 April
The day has come! A came first to deposit his sperms to send to lab for washing. He came at 7.30am and I only came at 10.30am with full bladder. When I took my number, we were number 5 and the last patient of the day to do IUI procedure. Gosh! My bladder was killing me because I was too scared that I won't be drinking too much, then having to hear that we are the 5th, I wanted to pengsan already liao. Went to pee 3 times because I can't wait any more. Drinking more water until I became bloated. I went in to the procedure room at 12pm. I ever went into this room before for my scan.

The checking was thorough, nurses kept on asking for my full name, for my IC, checking whether correct or not. All the nurses and doctor were so funny and calming. Really treat me so well. The procedure was just 5 mins but the pre-procedure and after took awhile. After checking my name on the sperm bottle and sign some documents while it distracted me a bit, the doctor did like the papsmear procedure. I wouldn't say it is very uncomfortable like I did my papsmear but a teeny awkward because of 1- My bladder is gonna burst, super scared I might piss at the doctor 2- During scanning, the nurse keeps on pressing my bladder and oh boy, I felt wanted to fart too.

The doctor took 4 syringes with the sperms into my womb. She said A had a good collection of 2 million healthy sperms and I have a beautiful womb. awwww. Once done, doctor left the procedure room and I have to rest on bed for 10 minutes so as to let the sperms to stick on the egg.
Image result for iui procedure

Image result for iui procedure

Blood test will be done on 10 May at 7.30am to know whether it is successful. 2-3 hours, the clinic will call to give us the answer that we have been waiting for.

9 May
The faithful day at work, I was experiencing very bad cramps and painful. I suspected that I might get my periods soon and prayed that it won't happen. But in the late afternoon, it came. Was so downhearted at work that I cried in the toilet. I braved myself to call KKH on what I am supposed to do because I do not have the leaflet with me. They told me to just take the pregnancy test and if it is negative, I don't need to come the next day for blood test.

I had no mood at work and coming home was a dread. Told A and he too was so sad and being so feisty because he hoped that at least we got a chance. I became upset and blame myself on the things I might have done that contributed to not getting pregnant such as I walked/ stand too long, I ran, I carry heavy things etc. Now we have to proceed with our appointment on 17 June at 9.45am.

We were both depressed and moody. We questioned ourselves on what are the things we did wrong, what went wrong and why it didn't happened. I told A I am not ready to go through this process again in the near future, let me heal from this traumatizing phase. The hope, time and money spent was not worth it. I came to my senses that it is okay for me to not have any kids, I redha with whatever He decided for me. It is not I am merajuk or lose hope, it is more that, I have ikhtiar and I am good now. If He wants to give us a baby, be it. If not, I am okay with it too.

Comments