First IVF journey at SGH

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

BACKSTORY
We got the not-so-strong positive test before our IVF programme (11 -13 Jul) but on 16 -18 Jul, I checked again, it got fainter and I got my period on Saturday, 18 Jul. It was sad because if not, I don't have to continue with my IVF journey.

I didn't tell A earlier about the double line is because I wanted to surprise him and my dad for their birthday but it turns out it backfired me instead. Told A about it on my period day and he was confused, puzzled, surprised and sad at the same time. Overwhelmed with the information like oh, we are pregnant but you got your period? So what does that mean? Do we finally get a success and then it didn't happened? Is it early miscarriage?

I called SGH on Saturday (18 Jul) to check when I could come down to collect the injections. They asked me to come on Monday morning (20 Jul), took a blood test and collected Ganirelix (Orgalutran) to stop from premature ovulation. 


The injection is stinging compared to Puregon or the other injections. 

FYI,
I can use the government subsidies of 75% ($7,500) as Singaporean by having IVF treatment at government hospital and I can use $5000 from our Medisave. Total subsidies = $12,500. But currently, I have to pay all the medication and injections first and claim it after the procedure, with all the receipts if our bill is under $12,500 in total.
Ganirelix (4 syringes) cost $300. 
Puregon 300ml x 5 costs $1092.
(another round of Ganirelix and Puregon $691)
Puregon and Pregynl $672
Duphaston 30 tabs $58

I've started my prenatal vitamins, folic acid, omega 3, coq10. My doctor said don't need to be too kanchiong but I guess no harm to prep my body early.

Now trying out Mediterranean Diet consist more veges and carbs and less meat.


7-day Mediterranean diet to look and feel better than ever ...

What is the Mediterranean Diet and Could it Work for You? - Mobile ...


Thursday (23 Jul)
Came for my scan and collect Puregon and Ganirelix injection to stimulate the eggs. I started with Puregon 300mg every shot at night and Ganirelix in the morning.

Tuesday (28 Jul)
Another scan to see the progress of my follicles. I started to feel bloated and heavy, my stomach protruding as if I am pregnant 4-5 months. The nurses said my follicles grew well, still small around 15mm but they say it will grow nicely. She also updated that I have 15 follicles. I asked how to get great and healthy eggs, she said take lots of protein, eggs and chicken daily. And I also can start my non gassy isotonic drink since I've already complained about bloating.

Thursday (30 Jul)
Little did I know that this is my last scan. I asked the nurse, are you sure? Do I need to start drinking pomegranate juice? She said why you want to drink pomegranate juice for? I told her for thickening my uterus lining. She said no need as my lining is already 12mm thick. Just nice for transfer. The nurses also said that my follicles have grown and I have 15 follicles on my left and 9 on my right. They told me to drink up my H20 1 litre per day, buy the new injections to stimulate the eggs for retrieval. They booked Saturday for my blood test and Monday morning for my egg retrieval. The last injection, Pregynl was scary as it has to be mixed and taken exactly at the timing. Had to put reminder so that I won't forgot to take it.

Saturday (1 Aug)
You can see your blood test results through MyHealthBuddy App. So cool so I don't need to keep bothering my nurses the results. hahah. My estrogen was 8750 and my progesterone was 4.04. They did ask me to take Duphaston for my progesterone.






Monday (3 Aug)
Our procedure was at 8am, we came and straight away to the prep room, changed and quickly go to the toilet to clear my bladder and then to OT. The OT was fine, nurses were preping me at the OT bed and put the injection plug on my left hand. A was beside me throughout the procedure. Our doctor came in and reading my bio, she even gave me the sedation which was super trippy, like the whole world was moving. Then the MO came at my right side, monitoring my heart rate and blood pressure. I told him the world is spinning and he said, close your eyes it will make you feel better AND BOOM, I WAS GONE! I woke up in between session but couldn't feel anything or remember things properly. I only saw the screen was white turned red and white again, and felt tugging. A told me that the doctors will show how many eggs they've collected through the screen. A was very brave as he has hemophobia, luckily he didn't pengsan.

A did most of the things that day. He had to gave his sample, went to pharmacy to collect medication and settle the paperwork and receipt claims that we have to submit. When he came back, he fetched me and we went to eat at the Kopitiam and go home. I rested the whole day on bed and the pain was bearable.




Tuesday (4 Aug)
The embryologist called and said they managed to retrieved 25 eggs, 15 matured and fertilised all and only 7 fertilised.

Wednesday (5 Aug)
They called to inform that they booked the OT for my egg transfer date on Saturday, 8 Aug and all the eggs were fine.
That night was horrible, the pain was unbearable, can't sleep from 12 midnight to 3am because my stomach and abdomen was bloated, heartburnt and too much wind that wouldn't want to exit my body even I put lots of ointment. I took 1 tablet of panadol earlier. Woke up at 5am to pee and boy my lower part of abdomen and my bottom were in pain as if I have period cramps. Even wanting to fart was painful, went back to bed and I can't sleep on my back, thus took 2 pills of panadol and slept in sujud position.

Thursday (6 Aug)
The nurse called to shift my timeslot to 9.30am for egg transfer and I complained to them about the pain and bloatedness. The nurse asked me to continue eating panadol every 6 hours and drink my isotonic drink regularly. If this persist, I might have OHSS and cannot transfer on Saturday. So I worked myself to get healthy.

Saturday (8 Aug) - Day 5 of egg retrieval
We reached at 9.20am and get prepped. I didn't drink that much water and freaked out. I told the nurse that I am ready only at 9.45am. She said okay, I can start to go to OT with A. Nurse checked my tummy to see my lining and my left ovaries are still big, she asked if it was still painful. I said no. Embryologist came in and update us about our eggs. out of 25 eggs, 1 was abnormal so we had 24 eggs, 15 mature, 7 fertilised and all of them are growing slowly. She said 1 potentially okay and she will come back to update me. Doctor came in do scanning and saw my left ovaries are still big. She checked my kidneys and liver and said I might have OHSS and there's risk of transfer. Do I still want to transfer? I said yes! Then she called the embryologist to update on the embryo.

The embryologist said that 1 had hatched and turned out beautiful. the rest are still slow, so they decided to transfer only 1. The embryo is BB grade and we could see it live on screen. Doctor already scope in and the embryologist passed the embryo to her to insert in my uterus. Then doctor showed me the egg was placed nicely at my right side of my uterus. She said encouraging words and have to stay happy and all the best. In fact everyone including the embryologist and nurses there all prayed for us.

Took blood test: Progesterone 387, Estrogen 3469. still have to continue my Duphaston. The embryologist will update me on the other embryos the next day over phone call.




Sunday (9 Aug) - Day 1 post transfer
The embryologist called and my heart sank. The remaining 6 were too slow and they only managed to get 2 that hatched and they asked whether I want to freeze these 2 embryos. I said yes. And asked her what happened to the remaining 4? They said they couldn't wait anymore as most of them are in Day 4 stage which could not survive if proceed for implantation and some ruptured. Then I told A and we both were sad the whole day.

Saturday (15 Aug) - Day 7 post transfer
I am scared to pee on the stick but I am eager to see the results. Today might be too early but I can still pee tomorrow too. Many said peeing before 10dpt is too early which is true. I had negative results. 
Had some small little blood after I pee. I'm scared now. Am not sure if it implantation blood since its day 7 already. 

Waiting for 19 Aug for our BETA test is just excruciating. And not looking forward to go back to work on 20 Aug like seriously.

Sunday (16 Aug) - Day 8 post transfer
I peed again and it was negative. I had a bad feeling. Well to be honest, I didn't feel like I was pregnant with all the symptoms that I had during my chemical pregnancy. Told A and he was still ever positive. In the afternoon, there was a very sharp pain on my left side of the ovaries and the bleeding started to get more. The pain subdue after 2 hours of just resting on bed but the bleeding continues.

Monday (17 Aug) - Day 9 post transfer 
Called SGH and asked how is my situation, they asked me to come and do blood test on Tuesday instead. I couldn't pee on the stick because full flow of menses already started.

Tuesday (18 Aug) - Day 10 post transfer
Went to SGH to draw blood at 8.30am and they will call at 1pm for the results. If negative, they will pass the case to the doctor. If positive, they will ask me to come back and take medication to help me with the bleeding and pregnancy.

Test came back negative (<0.3 (U/L)) and my next appointment will be on 24 September to review and see if I want to transfer my other 2 embryos.

Thoughts and feelings:
I wasn't really sad, sad. I expected it and I know the outcome is 50/50 chance. I almost could guess that it didn't happen and I got my period before my blood test. Now, let's focus to be more healthy and relax, enjoy our 5 year anniversary, and then we can think of what to do.
To be honest, I would want to continue only in Nov/Dec. And if it is still not successful, I would opt to adopt a newborn. But that's the thing about adoption, whether we can be better parents of their parents? Are we really ready because we are choosing him/her and not through birth? Are we ready to accept the hardship and whatever that will come with the baby (genetics, hereditary, money issues aka baby bonus etc)

Comments